Monday, May 24, 2010

Roses and Fangs: ch. 3. Convergence pt. 4.

Kara looked up from her screen, startled as someone knocked on her door. “Come in,” she called. She flinched as the door opened to reveal Erica carrying a brown bag.
If Erica saw the flinch she ignored it and gestured to the edge of Kara’s bed. “Mind if I sit?”
“Go ahead,” Kara saved her work and turned to face Erika trying very hard to hide her anxiety. “Thanks again for switching with me.”
“No problem, I hope Monday is enough time for the moon’s effects to be less…” Erica hesitated searching for words.
“Problematic?” Kara supplied helpfully. “Yeah. Saturday is the full moon so by Monday it will have waned enough that I can handle it without shifting.”
“Good, that works out for me anyways. I have an exam on Tuesday that will be a bitch.” She reached into the bag she had brought with her pulling out two cans. “Want a beer?”
“Please,” Kara shrugged reaching over to nudge the door shut. “Aren’t you on duty?”
“Not for a little while yet,” Erica shrugged as she popped open her own can and took a sip.
Kara sipped her own and awkward seconds passed slowly as she and Erica sat eyeing each other over their beers. Finally Kara broke the silence. “So somehow I doubt you just stopped by to share a beer, so what exactly is it you do want?”
Erica sighed and sat holding her beer in both hands. She let out a slow breath before meeting Kara’s eyes, wincing at Kara’s flinch when their eyes locked and reacted “Sam is in love with you.”
Kara nodded slowly never taking her eyes off Erica. “I know. He’s made it pretty clear.”
Erica studied Kara’s face intently. “And do you feel the same about him?”
Kara sighed setting her beer on the desk behind her and leaning forward. “I told him not to pressure me,” she growled.
“Relax, he doesn’t even know I’m here.” Erica held up her hands as if to shield herself from Kara’s anger. “I came on my own. I realize you and I have never exactly been as close friends as I would have liked, but I always liked you almost as much as Sam does. Haven’t I always treated you as a friend?”
Kara relaxed a little and nodded. “Yeah you have.”
“Then can you accept that I might have my own reasons for wanting to know if you feel the same about my cuz as he does about you??”
Kara hesitated for a few seconds before finally nodding slowly. “Okay, I’ll accept that. I guess it would only be natural to know if a were dared to love a vampire.”
Erica sat up and slamed the remains of her beer onto the desk next to Kara’s, leaning down so she looked Kara in the eyes. Kara flinched and backed away as the dark-haired vampire glared at Kara. “I don’t give a damn that you’re a were, Kara. What I care about is the fact my cousin is so in love with you that it sometimes hurts to watch. He has never even looked at another girl. You are the girl he wants.”
The vampire continued to glare at Kara. “I know he does,: the werewolf said softly.
“Do you love him?” Erica pressed.
“Of course I do.”
“As much as he loves you?” Erica’s eyes searched Kara’s.
Kara hesitated. “Probably.” The vampires arched her eyebrows but Kara continued before she could speak. “He is so intense about it, and at times his intensity almost scares me. I do love him, Erica. I just don’t know if its as much as he does me, or even if I love him enough,” she admitted softly, her eyes dropping to stare at her lap.
Erica backed away from the werewolf, taking her beer with her. She sipped it thoughtfully, the silence in the room building into a palpable tension. At last she tossed the empty can into the trash and headed for the door much to Kara’s relief.
As she opened the door Erica turned around to face Kara. “Kara, I can’t tell you what to do, but I think you are causing yourself and Sam both allot of unnecessary pain.”
Kara sighed, “What if they come after us?”
“This isn’t the seventeen hundreds anymore Kara. It’s not even the nineteen hundreds. I doubt that many will come after you, and if they do, you’re not alone.”
Kara blinked. “You don’t care if I date your cousin?”
Erica shrugged. “You gotta follow you’re your heart Kara.” With that she walked out and pulled the door shut behind her.
She’s so scared of vampires she can’t see what’s in front of her, she thought to herself sadly. She’s missing out because she is afraid of what the vampires will do to her if she goes out with Sam. She shook her head sadly. Well, there might be some that would do something stupid, but there’s bigots everywhere. I just hope she won’t let her fears prevent her from a chance at happiness.
Back in Kara’s room, Kara was turning thoughtfully back to her computer, her mind only half focused on her assignment.

***

The next day Jacqueline came back to her new dorm room to see Shelly stocking up the refrigerators. “Hey, probably only want to use the one in front,” she suggested, as the dark haired girl came into the room and closed the door.
“Why’s that?” Jacqueline asked.
“Well I store the blood in the back one,” Shelly explained. I hide it behind some pop cans, and it comes in sealed packs but, I find the smell and taste still tend to get into everything else,” she scrunched her nose up. “And if its unappetizing to me, I can only imagine what it would be like for humans.” She shrugged.
“Um yeah, I’ll use the one in the front then,” Jacqueline smiled. “Thanks for the warning.”
“No problem. Thanks for not getting all grossed out by your blood drinking roomie.”
Jacqueline chuckled. “It’s just nice to have a roommate that doesn’t seem to hate my guts.”
Shelly shrugged. “Well I haven’t had any problems with you yet. I’ll admit it’s a challenge living with humans, but it is easier now that I don’t have to hide what I am from you.”
She gave a warm smile as she finished with the refrigerator and stood up. “The other girls want us to join them for dinner at VWK. I figured we could hang out a bit until then if that’s okay?”
The darker haired girl couldn’t contain her grin. “Sounds great. What did you have in mind?”
Shelly cocked her head to the side. “Well I figured we could talk while we figure out while we rearrange the room a bit. What do you think about moving the desks around to the side and putting the refrigerators over there?”
By the time the knock on the door told the girls it was time for dinner, the two had managed to rearrange the room at least twice to find the maximum open area and were already coming up with ideas for how to spend the weekend. Shelly couldn’t help but notice how happy her roommate seemed just to have someone that genuinely wanted her around and couldn’t help but wonder what had happened to make her so sad and lonely.

No comments:

Post a Comment