Thursday, May 10, 2012

Succubus Companions ch 4


“I went for a walk,” Serpahine looked down and took a few deep breaths trying to deal with the waves of anger and fear washing over her.  Her demonic instincts fueled her desire to fight.  She opened her mouth to retort, but a second wave of emotion cut the ground out from under her. 
Anger and fear she was prepared to deal with.  The worry and fear, especially when it was for her, she was not.  She looked up at Vician.  “The hunger was starting to grow beyond what I can control,” she explained softly. “I was afraid of losing control while you were here.”  She risked looking up and her eyes met his blue ones.
“Did you feed? Are you okay now?”  Vician asked her, his eyes seeming to peer into her very soul.
“No, I did not, and yes, I am,” Seraphine answered.
If Vician sensed there was something she was leaving unsaid, he didn’t show it.  “Good,” he said brushing the matter off with a wave of his hand.  “My father said he saw you.  He paid a visit last night out of concern for my moral well being.”  Seraphine didn’t need to feel his emotions to sense the contempt and sarcasm in that statement.  It oozed out of every word.  “It ended badly for him,” Vician finished smugly.
Seraphine blinked suddenly worried.  “Is he alright?”
Vician chuckled.  “Oh he’s fine, except for his pride and his delicate sensibilities.  He’s known for years I don’t buy into his faith or his sense of morality.  Last night I finally told him what I think of him.  He didn’t take it well.”
Seraphine felt the satisfaction and amusement and her eyebrows arched as she looked at him.  “What did you say?”
Vician practically cackled with glee.  “I told him that he had no right to speak to me of morality to me.  As far as I am concerned the half-Drow wizard that first taught me how to use magic was more of a father to me than he was and that he can take his moral superiority with him to the Nine Hells for all I care.  I even offered to open him a portal to help him on his way.”
The demon in Seraphine rejoiced in the chaos but another part of her felt repulsed and she took a step back from Vician.  “He is worried about you,” she said softly.
Vician’s blue eyes shown with a cold burning hatred.  “I was his bastard.  He didn’t show an interest in me until after he stood by and allowed my mother to die.  He could have saved her.  He knows plenty of healing spells.  He would visit her occasionally until she got sick.  After that he never came back until she died and he came to collect me.  She sent him messages begging him to come to her.  Instead he turned his back on her and chose to let her die. He has no right to worry about me or tell me how to live my life.”
The sheer hatred stemming from Vician nearly overwhelmed Seraphine and the look on his face reminded her of ones she had seen on many of the more powerful demons she had known.  She backed up until she bumped into one of the tables not quite able to keep the fear under control.  She reached back grabbing the table top with both hands so hard that the blood drained from her knuckles.
Seraphine’s fear must have broken through Vician’s anger because his rage subsided somewhat and he offered Seraphine a reassuring smile.  “Don’t worry the hatred I feel for my father has nothing to do with you.  I was upset that you left the attic, but in hindsight I should have expected it.” 
He approached Seraphine and leaned forward to kiss her on the forehead as waves of protectiveness and worry swept over him.  “Please bear this a short time longer.  I will try to come up with a way to hide what you are from the priests and paladins in the city, and then you can start accompanying me.  Just give me your word you won’t sneak out again without first clearing it with me.” 
Seraphine nodded.  “I promise she said softly.”
“Good.  I must tend to my duties now, but I will return in a few hours,” Vician promised her.
Seraphine nodded and accepted a hug before watching him leave.  This was the first time Vician had shown her true affection and her thoughts and emotions were a bit in turmoil as she settled down in her corner with a book on potion-making.
It wasn’t even two hours later when Vician breathlessly burst through the trap-door.  “Hurry!  Pack what you can in the next ten minutes.  We have to leave the city before the guards find us!”

No comments:

Post a Comment