Thursday, November 12, 2009

Roses and Fangs: ch. 2. Broken Paths.

Chapter Two: Broken Paths
It was late august and it was only two weeks into the new school year. Sam snuck a peak over at Kara just as the bell rang. He suppressed a sigh as she jammed her books into her bag and darted out the door. He knew better then to chase her, he tried that before and it only caused her to get upset and tell him to leave her alone.
He had chased her after class, calling her name and grabbing her by the arm. She had turned around glaring at him. “Let go of me Sam.”
“I just want to talk”
“I already said everything I had to say to you. Just leave me alone, I mean it,” Kara had pulled her arm away. “Please, Sam, for both our sakes just leave me alone.”
He had let go of her and watched as she hurried down the hall and out the doors.
Other then that, they hadn’t spoken since that day in the woods, not even when they were both called before the grand jury on the same day. He wound up skipping out on the fraternity dance claiming the stress from those events was just too much, but really he just didn’t feel like attending when things were so bad between him and Kara. It had been a shock to find out she was a werewolf, but it didn’t bother him the way his being a vampire seemed to bother her and it frustrated him she was avoiding him.
Dejectedly he packed his own books and headed out of the building. The plaza just outside the building was fairly packed so he was about to head over to the union when he noticed Kara sitting off to one side, plugged into her mp3 player and looking over a text book.
He hesitated for a minute then walked over to where Kara was sitting. He hovered for a moment trying to gather his thoughts.
“I can tell you’re behind me Sam. I thought I told you to leave me alone.” Kara tapped her nose, not looking up. “I have a good nose, remember?”
“Sorry. Look, I know you don’t have anything to say to me, but I have some things I need to say and didn’t get the chance to. May I please have a seat so I can say them now?”
“Would it make any difference if I said no?” She asked tiredly.
“Yes,” Sam replied, the disappointment readily apparent in his voice.
Kara sighed and patted the ground next to her, turning off the mp3 player. “You have two minutes. After that, I head my way, you head yours. Agreed?”
Sam nodded as he took a seat, “Agreed.”
“Alright, so talk,” Kara looked at him trying, unsuccessfully, not to flinch as his eyes met hers and the telltale change occurred.
Sam noticed the flinch and winced. “Kara, I didn’t know you were a were until you showed me, but it doesn’t change how I feel about you. I do not understand why you are so afraid of me. I would never hurt you. I care too much about you to hurt you. I wish you would understand that.” He looked at her and shook his head then turned away starting to get up.
He felt a hand grab his arm and pull him back down. “It’s not so much that I’m afraid of you. It’s more I am afraid of what you are. Even if you don’t hurt me, one of your kind, maybe even your family, will. Its better we go our own ways. We should have in kindergarten.” Kara’s voice was soft.
“Kara the Kindred wars ended before we were born,” Sam sighed. “And if you knew what I was since kindergarten why did you continue to be my friend?”
It was Kara’s turn to sigh.

No comments:

Post a Comment