Wednesday, December 2, 2009

Roses and Fangs: ch. 2. Broken Paths pt. 2.

It was Kara’s turn to sigh.
“I didn’t know in kindergarten, I learned what you were the day we kissed. I didn’t want to remain your friend after that. But you’ve always been very persistent, and I’ll admit you’ve been a good friend, but now you know what I am and it is time to accept that being friends is a childhood fantasy.”
Sam hung his head resting his chin in his hands as he tried to think of how to put his feelings into words. He started to open his mouth when a shadow fell across him and Kara.
“I was right it is you,” the dark haired woman stated as both Sam and Kara looked up. Taking a cross legged seat facing them, Jacqueline smiled nervously. “I thought I was losing my mind again for a minute.”
“No office, but we’re in the middle of a private conversation,” Kara tried to smile but couldn’t quite bring herself to do so. “Maybe we can talk another time?”
“Oh, sorry,” Jacqueline leaned back, “Well, um, I’ll let you two talk then, but I just wanted to thank you for saving my life.” She moved to get up.
“Don’t worry about it,” Sam said getting to his feet before Jacqueline could reach hers. “I think we have said all there is to say.” He offered Jacqueline a weak smile. “And I’m just glad we were there to help.” With that, he walked away.
Kara watched him leave. When he was out of sight she sighed again and looked down, a couple tears falling down her cheek. “Damn it all anyway,” she muttered.
“Uh, it’s probably not my business, but are you okay?” Jacqueline fidgeted feeling a little uncomfortable seeing the redheaded woman crying.
Kara motioned for Jacqueline to take the seat Sam had just vacated. “Not really. I just broke his heart for the umpteenth time, and it never gets any easier. But he doesn’t understand that we’re just too different,” She explained. “I hate this.”
“Do these differences have anything to do with that dog trick you did and the fact that guy could throw a bigger man like twenty feet without effort?” Jacqueline asked softly.
Kara flinched and nodded. “Yes, except that it is wolf not dog.”
“Sorry, I don’t really know the difference between wolves and dogs. I didn’t mean to offend you.”
“It’s alright. But you probably shouldn’t talk about this too much.”
“Around here?” Jacqueline chuckled and gestured. “Everyone will just assume I’m either talking about some book or D&D game.”
Kara shook her head. “There’s a few that might not, and those are the ones you need to worry about.”
Jacqueline blinked as sudden insight hit her. Her voice dropped to an awed whisper. “That wasn’t a trick was it? The wolf thing, I mean. You really did turn into a wolf.” At the redhead’s resigned nod she continued, “And the guy that just left, he can do that too?”
“No, and that’s the problem,” Kara shook her head. “Sam is a vampire. Traditionally our kinds are mortal enemies.”
“Vampire? As in suck your blood vampire?”
“Yes.”
“I thought vampires were supposed to only come out at night or they would burn up or something.” Jacqueline looked confused.
“Some do, but some, like Sam are what’s called day walkers. The sun doesn’t bother them, and they can eat real food, but they are weaker then the others.”
“Ah, okay, I think I understand it now. So you are some kind of werewolf and Sam is a day walker but he likes you even though you’re supposed to be enemies.”
Kara shook her head. “Not exactly. Vampires and werewolves are generally enemies. We just have a truce to avoid open warfare because we decimated each other in the last real war. But Sam and I were friends, really good friends before he knew what I was and even though I knew what he was since we were thirteen, I was careless and let him fall in love with me.”
“You let him fall in love with you? I’m not exactly the best person on relationships, obviously, but I don’t think you can control who a person falls in love with.” Jacqueline shook her head. “Hell, I’m not even sure we can control who we fall in love with.”
Kara shrugged, “If I hadn’t relented and remained his friend even though I knew what he was he wouldn’t have had the chance to fall for me.”
“And you know this for a fact? Look I realize I don’t know either of you real well, but what if he was already in love with you back then?”
Kara blinked and shook her head. “That’s impossible. We were only thirteen.”
This time it was Jacqueline who shrugged. “My grandparents met when they were eight and nine, and married at fifteen and sixteen. I fell in love and had my first relationship at fourteen. It turned out to be a disaster but still doesn’t change the fact I was in love.”
Kara sighed, “Even if you’re right, it doesn’t change anything. I still should have just walked away when I learned what he was. It would have spared him allot of pain.”
“You like him don’t you?”
The question took Kara off guard. “Well, yeah, it’s hard to be friends for so long and not like a person.”
Jacqueline shook her head. “That’s not what I meant.”
Kara looked down. “Yeah, I know. Yes, I like him. I like him allot. But there are too many reasons why it won’t work starting with the fact that a lot of vampires and werewolves alike would kill us both just for trying.”
Jacqueline sucked in her breath. “And he knows this?”
“If he doesn’t he should.” Kara looked up. “It’s practically ingrained into our heads by our parents and our pack or clan leaders.”
“Then assuming he knows this, what does that tell you?”
“That he is either the biggest idiot out there or that he doesn’t care.”
“I just met you, but you don’t strike me as the type to be friends with a total idiot.”
“No, Sam’s not an idiot,” Kara sighed, “It would be easier if he was.”
“So the fact he either isn’t scared that your,” Jacqueline paused to search for the word she wanted, “races will try and kill you both, or else he loves you so much that he’s willing to take the chance scares you.”
“More then you could possibly know.”
“Because you’re afraid of dying or because he loves you so much?”
Kara looked down studying the grass as she thought about it.
“Both really. I’m not sure I love him enough to be able to risk dying to be together.”
Jacqueline was about to say something when the alarm on her watch went off. She patted Kara’s shoulder gently. “Sorry I have to get to class, but I’m in third floor Marycrest if you want to talk later. Just look for the door that says Jackie and Elise on it. Thanks again for saving my life.” She grabbed her bag and ran off to class as Kara just nodded.

***

She found him studying some pictures hanging in the display case outside one of the art labs. He noted her reflection in the glass and tightened his hand around the strap to his backpack. He didn’t look at her.
She looked at the picture he was looking at, a pastel of a wolf skulking through a field of rose bushes. She somehow found that fitting. She reached up and pointed to it. She realized she was trembling. “I like that one. It’s pretty.”
He nodded.
“Yours?”
He nodded again.
“Is that supposed to be her?”
He nodded a third time.
She took a deep breath. “You know they will hunt you down?”
He nodded a fourth time. “Some will. Not as many as you might think, but yes some will.”
She smiled. It was a tight worried smile, but a smile just the same. “I always did kind of like her. I have your back. You know that right?”
“Thank you. That means allot to me.”
She patted his shoulder then turned, her long stilettos somehow making no sound as she walked away.

***

Jacqueline sat at her desk barely hearing the lecture as she scribbled notes down. Her thoughts were distracting her. At least now I know I’m not crazy. I really did see her transform into a wolf that day. She startled as she heard the professor asking her a question.
“Uh, I’m sorry, what was the question?”
The professor, a middle aged woman with a hint of grey showing in her dark hair was slightly leaning over the desk. “I asked if you were feeling okay Jackie. Class ended ten minutes ago.”
“Oh, I’m sorry. I guess I just have a lot on my mind.” Jacqueline hurriedly gathered up her things.
“Jackie, you know I live down near Oxford right? I read about what happened to you. If you need to talk my door is always open.”
“Thank you, but I’m alright.” Jacqueline lied, heading out the door and leaving a worried professor staring after her.
I’m not sure how much I should be relieved I’m not crazy after all, She thought to herself as she headed to her dorm. Although they seem nice enough and they did save my life, it is scary to know that this Sam guy really is a vampire and she is really a werewolf and that they could kill me without even breaking a sweat. Still, scary as it might be, they seem nice and they are the first people that ever gave a damn about me even if it was only for a few minutes.
She reached the dorm, went through the lobby to the elevator taking it to her floor. When she got to her door she saw a note taped to it.
“Jackie, it was nice to see you again. I’m sorry I wasn’t much company. Thank you for talking to me earlier and for your kind offer. I realize now I need to face some things. Take care of yourself, and I hope to see you around, Kara.”
For some reason she couldn’t explain, the note made Jacqueline feel better. Smiling she unlocked the door, pulled he note down, and walked into her room. Collapsing onto the bed for a quick nap her last thought was Maybe my life is finally getting better.

***

She found him studying some pictures hanging in the display case outside one of the art labs. He noted her reflection in the glass and tightened his hand around the strap to his backpack. He didn’t look at her.
She looked at the picture he was looking at, a pastel of a wolf skulking through a field of rose bushes. She somehow found that fitting. She reached up and pointed to it. She realized she was trembling. “I like that one. It’s pretty.”
He nodded.
“Yours?”
He nodded again.
“I always did like your work.” She hesitated then
He nodded a third time. A flicker of a smile crossed his face for a second then disappeared. He fidgeted.
She took a deep breath. “You know I don’t want to hurt you right? You know I do like you.”
He nodded a fourth time. “I know. It doesn’t make it any easier but I know.”
She smiled. It was a sad worried smile, but a smile just the same. “I’m scared. I’m not as strong as you, but I don’t want to keep hurting you. Give me a few days, alright? I promise I’ll either stop running, or I’ll be gone from your life for good so you don’t keep getting hurt. One way or another I’ll figure this out within a few days.” She paused then finally admitted. “Whatever I decide, do know I do love you. I guess maybe I always have.”
“Thank you. That means allot to me.”
She patted his shoulder then turned, her long stilettos clicking on the tile as she walked away.

***

No comments:

Post a Comment