Sunday, March 28, 2010

Roses and Fangs: ch. 3. Convergence pt. 1.

It was about a quarter till eight when Kara pulled into the s2 parking lot a bit down the hill from Stuart hill. Aside from a quick side trip to Wendy’s to get food, they had come straight back. Even though Kara had offered to drop them off at their dorms, both had elected just to walk.
As they unloaded the backpacks and Kara’s bag from the trunk, a school van pulled in a bit further down the lot. At first, Kara didn’t pay any attention to the students piling out of it as she shut the trunk to her own car. She suddenly sensed Jacqueline tensing beside her and turned to look to see a dark-dressed figure heading over towards them.
She tensed herself and took a few deep breaths to get herself under control.
“That’s Sam’s cousin,” she hissed to Jacqueline. “She used to look out for me and Sam when we were younger. Her name’s Erica.”
“I know. We’ve met,” Jacqueline’s voice trembled slightly, though the dark haired girl made a valiant attempt not to look scared. Her scent still gave her away.
She’s learning, Kara thought impressed but turned her attention back to Erica as she approached.
“Hey cuz, think fast!” Erica tossed a small bag at Sam, who snatched it out of the air one handed. It looked like some kind of candy. She turned to Kara and Jacqueline with a big smile. “Hey Kara, Jacqueline, what’s shakin’?”
“Hello,” Jacqueline half stepped so she was slightly behind Kara who tried to offer a friendly smile.
“Not much, how have you been Erica?” Kara offered a friendly greeting, by winced at the slight edge of tension that carried through her voice. She liked Erica well enough, but Erica was part of Sam’s family and, as far as she knew, a vampire too.
Erica rolled her eyes slightly and walked right up to Kara putting her hand on Kara’s right shoulder. Kara held her ground, though the hair on her neck stood up as she tried to look anywhere but in Erica’s eyes. Glancing at Sam, “Oh for God’s sake, you haven’t told her?”
Sam fidgeted looking guilty.
She turned back catching Kara’s gaze before Kara could look away. Kara flinched as Erica’s eyes went from brown to golden with catlike slits and back. Her own changed briefly in recognition and she tried to face down the rising terror she felt.
“For God’s sake girl, relax, will you?” Erica rolled her eyes again. “How long have we known each other? Almost as long as you’ve known Sam, right? If I haven’t hurt you in all this time do you think I am now?”
Kara sighed and relaxed. “I guess not. But you can understand why I would be a bit uneasy. How long have you known? Did Sam tell you?” She cast a glance at Sam.
Sam shook his head. He nudged Erica till Erica backed up giving Kara and Jacqueline some space. “No, I never told her. In fact I’d like to know how she figured it out myself.”
“Yeah, I’ve known for years. So has Sam’s mom.”
“She does?” Sam nearly shouted the same time as Kara let out a shocked “What?”
Erica simply shrugged. “Who do you think told me? Why do you think I looked out for you both so long? Some of those fights I got into over the two of you were pretty bad you know.” Her eyes sparkled a bit. “They were damn fun though.”
“But mom hates weres,” Sam was clearly stunned. “She was always talking about how bad weres were.” He looked at Kara hopelessly. “I never agreed with her obviously.”
Erica smiled tightly. “Yeah, well despite all her talk, and she does have reasons, she still seems to like you, Kara.” She paused and tilted her head. “Well maybe like isn’t quite the right word, but she accepts you. You don’t need to worry about her anyway.”
She paused again. “I think that Sam, me, and Sam’s folks are the only ones that know what you are. You’re secret is still safe girl. None of us is gonna out you.”
Kara smiled tightly. “Thank you.”
“No problem. Oh one more thing, you know we’re both on the RA schedule this weekend right?”
Kara winced. “Oh hell.”
Erica smiled. “Don’t worry, I’ve already asked to trade with you so you don’t work on the full moon. You just need to sign off on it.”
Kara was starting to feel a little less uncomfortable now. “I’ll do that on my way in. Thank you so much.”
“No problem. I need to talk to Jacqueline though.”
“What about?” Jacqueline stammered from behind Kara. “I’ve kept my mouth shut. I promise!”
Erica laughed. “God you’re all strung tighter then a French corset!” She shook her head. “I was gonna come see you tonight anyways. I know your RA. She and I have an idea I’d like to talk to you about if you’re interested.”
“Erm okay,” Jacqueline eased out from behind Kara as Erica guided her towards Marycrest.
As the two women walked away Kara turned to Sam who looked as lost and confused as she felt. “So your mom knows huh?”
Sam gave a dazed half shrug. “Apparently. She never told me. Either she either assumed I knew she knew or she didn’t want to tell me. I don’t know what that means.”
It was Kara’s turn to shrug. “I dunno either. One more thing to think about. Anyways, thank you for a great time today.” She gave him a hug and left him looking as bewildered as she felt.

No comments:

Post a Comment