Wednesday, March 31, 2010

Roses and Fangs: ch. 3. Convergence pt. 2.

Jacqueline nervously allowed Erica to lead her toward Marycrest trying hide to hide her nervousness. She felt a touch on her shoulder and jumped before she realized that Erica was trying to guide her around some kind of unidentifiable mess on the pavement.
“Geeze relax, girl,” Erica shook her head in a mix of annoyance and amusement. “You’re too jumpy.”
“Sorry, I guess I’m still kinda creeped out from the other night,” Jacqueline replied. “So what did you want to talk to me about? I swear I haven’t said anything.”
“Jeeze as I said, relax. Actually I was gonna make you an offer.”
“What kind of offer?” Jacqueline looked over at Erica, half curious half suspicious.
If Erica saw the look she ignored it. “I’m an RA in Stuart Hall. I was talking to your RA and she said you were having trouble fitting in. She also mentioned you were having trouble with some of the girls on your floor. As it turns out I have a girl on my floor who is a little… uncomfortable… with her roommate. She’s trying to get a new room and has her stuff packed. If you like, student housing has given us permission to swap the two of you.”
Jacqueline stopped and turned to Erica. “My RA thinks I’m a problem?”
Erica snorted. “No, actually she likes you allot. You just don’t fit in well with the other girls on your floor. We think you’d fit in better with the girls on mine. There is a catch though.”
Jacqueline looked up at Erica. “Okay you already mentioned that the girl moving out was uncomfortable with her roommate. What’s the deal?”
Erica eyed Jacqueline. “Well your roommate would be a vampire. Can you live with that? You seem very jumpy around me.”
Jacqueline blinked and thought about it a few minutes. “Well, Sam and Kara don’t make me uncomfortable and Sam’s a vampire. You really creeped me out the other night. That’s why I’m scared of you.”
Erica pouted. “I didn’t mean to scare you quite that much. I only wanted to make sure you wouldn’t go around blabbing about Kara and Sam. As much for your sake as for theirs.”
“I wouldn’t have anyways. I owe them.”
Erica shrugged. “Well, I had to be sure. Sorry.”
“I’ll do it.”
“Really, you sure? Even though you’re scared of me?”
“Yeah it has to be better then where I am.”
Erica smiled. “Let me call your RA and let her know then.” She pulled out her cell phone and dialed a number. “Hey Sherry, its Erica. Jacqueline agreed.” She paused a moment. “Yeah if you could that would be great. She’s nearly packed anyways.” Another pause. Why don’t we do it tonight then. I can help Jacqueline pack.” She winked at Jacqueline. “Yeah that would be awesome. We’ll meet you there in ten. Thanks.”
She hung up the phone and gestured for Jacqueline to lead the way. “time to get you moved, girl.”
When they got to Jacqueline’s room, Sherry was standing there with two carts. “I borrowed these, I have to return them but should be enough to load everything up. Need my help? If not I’m gonna go get another cart and help Michelle move her stuff.”
Erica glanced to Jacqueline who shook her head with a smile. “Aside form my clothes and a few other things I hadn’t really unpacked too much yet. We can just throw most of them into some garbage bags. I think the two of us can handle it. Thanks, Sherry, for everything.”
Sherry smiled and gave Jacqueline a hug. “No problem. I’ll go help Michelle then. Take care and if you need anything feel free to stop by or call.”
Two hours later Jacqueline and Erica were in Stuart Hall, Erica unlocking the door and handing Jacqueline the key. “There you go.”
The room was a little smaller then the room in Marycrest, but somehow even with the bare closet and bed, it still felt welcoming to Jacqueline.
Erica helped unload Jacqueline’s stuff into the center of the room then stacked one cart on the other. “I’m gonna go return these to Sherry. Oh and I need your key.”
Jacqueline smiled and handed Sherry the key to the room in Marycrest. “Alright I’m gonna start unpacking then.”
“Sounds good. I’ll be back to check in on you later. Shelly should be back soon. I told her a little about you so things should be good.” With a slight wave she left pushing the carts down the hall towards the elevators.
Jacqueline had barely finished putting her clothes away and was still setting up her laptop, printer, and knickknacks on her desk when she heard a knock on the door. She cautiously opened it and peeked out. Several girls were standing outside. The one in front smiled. “Hi we heard that someone was switching with Michelle. I guess that’s you? Anyways I’m sure you’re busy, but we just wanted to come by and say hi and welcome to the floor. We often eat dinner together at VWK if you want to join us.” She proceeded to introduce herself and the other girls though Jacqueline didn’t really catch any of the names. “Well we’ll leave you alone now, but we hope to see you around.”
“Thanks. I’ll try and be at the next group dinner,” Jacqueline smiled as the girls all waved and headed back to their rooms.

No comments:

Post a Comment